Saturday, March 10, 2012

Just a fun read

Today I went to see Garfield's favourite mechanic, Slavok. So far he has been my favourite too, but for very different reasons. So far he took care of my car just fine. Otherwise, he is not so funny with me.
Well, the blog is not about the mechanic, it is about how things turned out. I asked my dad to come to the mechanic shop, so he can give me a ride to go some where while my car gets fixed up. He had to drive all the way from South Austin to Pflugerville, that is like going from Austin to Temple TX...almost! I told my dad I need the headlight to be fixed (since the indicator has been on) and general checkup since I'll be on the road soon for a long drive. I like my car to be in good condition before I go on long distance trips. I'm afraid of big repairs. Also, my car's mileage is near 105K, so I was damn sure there were gazillion problems with it and I remember the dealer in the past always pointed to all those gazillion problems. So I told my dad, I hope the bill won't come out too expensive, I'll be happy if it is within $500. My dad was bit puzzled since I said it is a headlight problem and that shouldn't come out too expensive. I guess my trust in the car is less and my knowledge in cars is even more less. I called Slavok around noon to check he has done anything, he said he just started looking at it and he'll call me back to let me know the estimate. I get a call back in half hour and he tells me it is ready to be picked up! Faster than I thought but still I was ready to hear a list of things he has done and needs to be done. I go to him and he says you can take the car and I ask how much to pay and he says nothing. Just a headlight fix. I was pleasantly surprised and asked him few more questions for sake of future repairs. Once I walked out with my dad, my dad goes, "So Srujana, now that we have an extra $500 cash, what shall we do with it??" I'm not sure if you guys see the joke, but my dad was being sarcastic and making fun of me. I cracked up!!
Moral of the story, he had to pay for the gas and I paid nothing!

Yours,
Ender

2 comments:

  1. Ender,
    I did my every-once-in-a-while browse of our blog and was pleasantly surprised to see this update. It also made my heart happy- it is such a a feel good story. I probably will go to Slovak too- I have a brake light that needs to be fixed. Thanks G for pointing us all to him- I'll make sure to mention you- so you may get a discount.
    Dora

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dora!!
    I was the one who told G about Slovak. I should be getting the credit and attention:-) But do tell him about G, because I'm sure she has a special spot in his ...(what rhymes here?)

    Ender

    ReplyDelete