Saturday, October 29, 2011

Dear Planet...

The idea of starting a blog with friends sounded cool at first! It gives me a chance to share my thoughts and work on my writing skills. But honestly, my English is terrible and half the time my thoughts are not contained. Inspite of those facts, I decided to be part of this blogspot. Right there! I'm being optimistic!! I hope to get better at this over time.
Here is my take on yesterday. I was listening to NPR on the way back home. Wish I had listened to the whole report because it was quite interesting. Some statistics on population growth and what it means to us - by end of 2011 world population will be 7 billion, a drastic growth from 1 billion just couple of centuries ago. In few more years, the population can easily reach 8 billion. Seventy percent of us already or will be living in major cities. The concern is not the space we take up, but it is how much we consume. Large portions of the population already have no clean water, and there are sanitation problems. Food will be scarce even with the advancments in Agriculture.
When I was listening to this, (it was lot more interesting to listen to the news and there were lot of facts I'm unable to share since I have already forgotten), I started having a bigger picture at life. I frequently ask myself, why are we here? What is our purpose? And now, what are we doing to this planet? Few weeks ago there was a report on wild animals that got loose in Ohio and almost all of them were killed because they were supposed to be dangerous to us. That was devastating for me. Why kill those poor animals when we brought them here in first place? Even if it the right thing to do, I felt like it was completely unfair. Who are we to decide?
At the end, it is something to think and reflect upon. My optimistic take on this is that there is more to life than what I am doing right now. There are greater things in this world and it gives me hope that one day I get to explore and hopefully do something good in life and to this planet.

Your Truly,
Ender

No comments:

Post a Comment